Now is the time to apply for the 2022 Governor's Scholars Program!
Check out this video about GSP!
The Governor’s Scholars Program is a summer residential program for outstanding high school students in Kentucky who are rising seniors. The Program originated in 1983 as a result of Kentucky leaders’ concern that the state’s “best and brightest” were leaving the Commonwealth to pursue educational and career opportunities elsewhere without fully understanding the potential of their talents at home. Students who are selected attend the Program without charge. In the spirit of partnership, the Office of the Governor, the Kentucky State Legislature, and private enterprise come together to provide the financial support for the Program.
The Program’s mission is to enhance Kentucky’s next generation of civic and economic leaders. The first class numbered 230 and was housed on one college campus. Since then, the Program has enjoyed excellent support and grown to over 1,000 students on three campuses.
Host campuses are determined competitively every three years. In 2022, GSP will be hosted by Bellarmine University in Louisville, Centre College in Danville, and Morehead State University in Morehead. The core curriculum for these summer sessions is threefold:
• Focus Area: Courses that allow a student to pursue a topic in-depth as a member of a small group stressing the development of ideas in the chosen discipline, with the option of additional independent study.
• General Studies: Classes the emphasize inquiry, service-learning, community leadership, and resolution development.
• Seminar: Personal development seminars that stress concerns and problems faced by students, including such subjects as values clarification, career choice, and interpersonal relationships.
Faculty and staff also invite a variety of speakers and performers from a range of disciplines and pursuits to visit campus. Carefully organized field trips, special events, and a film series also contribute to the comprehensive educational atmosphere in which scholars are challenged not only to examine, but, more importantly, to nurture their sense of learning and leadership.
To be eligible to apply and be selected as a Governor's Scholar, a student must:
• Be in the 11th grade at the time of selection and intend to return to a Kentucky school district for the next school term. (Students skipping their senior year to enter college are not eligible);
• Be a current resident of Kentucky;
• Have taken the ACT, PSAT, or SAT in the 9th, 10th or 11th grades.
Find more information about GSP, including the application here. Completed applications MUST be submitted to Mr. Luke Moons at CCHS by the end of the school day on Thursday, January 6th, 2022.